Take That: Never ForgetiTunesAmazon

Minster FM News

Contact the News Team:
Tel: 01904 486598

New North Yorkshire Chief Constable Makes His Mark

Dave Jones 250413

8:50am 5th June 2013

The new chief constable of North Yorkshire wasted no time in making his presence felt after helping to detain a man just hours into his first shift.

Chief Constable Dave Jones was visiting Catterick Garrison Police Station as part of a tour of the county, when reports of a man being assaulted in Richmond town centre were radioed in at around 12.50am on Monday 3 June 2013.

Chief Constable Jones attended the scene of the incident, where local officers had stopped three men in their 20s. At this point, one of the suspects ran off towards Station Bank and onto station Road.

Chief Constable Jones gave chase on foot with other officers and they were directed by CCTV operators to where the suspect was last seen.

During a search of the area the suspect was spotted down an alleyway climbing over a wall. Chief Constable Jones went after him in company with another officer who arrested him on suspicion of affray.

The other two men were also arrested in connection with the incident.

Chief Constable Jones said: “It was important for me to get out and see the officers on the ground as soon as possible and it was good to be able to muck in with them so soon into my first shift!

“It was great to get involved, though, and it was good to be out there with them on the front line.

“Fortunately, the rest of my first shift was a bit quieter and I was able to get around the rest of the county and meet some of the officers and our partners who help to make North Yorkshire and the City of York one of the safest places in the country.”

Sgt Simon Gannon, of North Yorkshire Police, said: “It was great to see the new Chief Constable getting out and about and responding to calls with local officers.”

Catterick Garrison was the first stop for Chief Constable Jones who started his first shift with North Yorkshire Police at 12 midnight on Monday 3 June 2013. He responded to a suspected drink driver at Tesco in the Garrison before moving on to meet the Royal Military Police at the police station they share with local officers.

He then stopped off at the station’s CCTV room before attending the incident in Richmond.

The next stop was Harrogate Police Station where he was shown round the new custody suite before heading to York for a visit to the Force Control Room.

Chief Constable Jones met the on-duty control room Chief Inspector and thanked the Richmond controllers for their great work in assisting the incident he had been involved in earlier in the night.

He also met officers from North Yorkshire Police’s Armed Response Unit and called into meet the night duty Detective Sgt in York CID.

Next he travelled east to Scarborough and then on to Northallerton for their 7am briefing.

By 7.30am Chief Constable Jones was settling into his new office at the Force’s headquarters, in Newby Wiske, and preparing for his introduction to the region’s media back in Northallerton at 1pm.

Following the press conference, Chief Constable Jones had a very productive meeting with the Police and Crime Commissioner Julia Mulligan.

In all, Chief Constable Jones covered 190 miles during his first shift.

Get Local News Alerts on Your Phone