York Tourist Attraction Marks First Birthday
10:59am 27th March 2013
(Updated 1:21pm 27th March 2013)
Award-winning visitor attraction York’s Chocolate Story is celebrating its first birthday this Easter by offering free entry to visitors sharing the same birthday.
Film star Ewan McGregor is among those invited to join in York’s Chocolate Story’s indulgent birthday celebrations on Sunday 31st March – and will receive free admission on receipt of proof of their birthday.
A giant chocolate cake, party bags, face painting for children and chocolate giveaways are just some of the fun celebrations planned for the milestone party. The birthday kicks off a jam-packed itinerary at York’s Chocolate Story for the Easter holidays, including Easter-themed lolly decorating workshops from the attraction’s top chocolatiers and a colourful display of giant three foot chocolate eggs.
Juliana Delaney, Continuum’s chief executive, the company behind York’s Chocolate Story, said:
“In our first year we’ve shared York’s confectionery stories with people from as far afield as New Zealand and Japan, and spread the word to those who live in and around York but perhaps didn’t know about the city’s rich chocolate heritage. What better way to celebrate Easter and our first birthday than in York, the UK’s home of chocolate.
“We’ve had wonderful feedback and ideas from our visitors and fantastic support from local organisations and residents. Never ones to rest on our laurels, the attraction is constantly evolving and we’re now moving forward with an improved visitor experience to be launched this Easter. This will include more fascinating chocolate stories from the city, and the opportunity to make your own chocolates, with help from our skilled Chocolatiers.”
James Maxton, spokesperson for confectionery giant Nestle, added: “Some of the nation’s best-loved brands were born in York and continue to be made in the City. We have worked closely with York’s Chocolate Story to tell the tale so far, and we wish the team a very happy first birthday and look forward to many more years of working together.”
York’s Chocolate Story offers a fascinating guided tour of chocolate’s origins, uncovering a host of surprising secrets and facts behind York’s greatest chocolate creations, from Terry’s Chocolate Orange to the globally famous Nestlé Kit Kat. Since opening in March 2012, of the tens of thousands of people who visited the city centre attraction, almost 27,000 of these visitors have travelled to York specifically to visit York’s Chocolate Story, boosting the local tourism economy. Of the visitors in 2012, 97 per cent said they would recommend the experience to a friend. The attraction has also given away enough chocolate to fill a double decker bus.
Now moving into its second year, a number of additions have been made that will improve the visitor experience:
- NEW for 2013, budding Chocolatiers can now make and take away their own chocolates, and watch tantalising demonstrations by the experts. Get hands-on creating chocolate lollies, led by skilled Chocolatiers in the newly expanded chocolate-making demonstration area.
- The attraction has been divided into three key zones for visitors:
- Story Zone - the journey begins thousands of years ago in the rainforests of Central America and continues through the history of chocolate’s founding families and the fascinating facts behind their finest creations.
- Factory Zone - learn how a simple cocoa bean is transformed into the finest chocolate, and take a look at the history of York’s most iconic chocolate brands. Then master the secrets of the chocolatier, as you create hand-made chocolates for yourself, before seeing how the experts do it.
- The Indulgence Zone - put new knowledge into practice and choose from a selection of chocolate drinks and treats in the Chocolate Bar Café and Shop.
For more information, please visit www.yorkschocolatestory.com.
|Get the latest local news direct to your inbox.
Sign up now for our email updates.