85 Year Old Man Has Military Medal Collection Stolen in Easingwold
1:30pm 5th February 2013
Police investigating the theft of a prized collection of military memorabilia are urging collectors and dealers to keep an eye out for the stolen items.
The items are believed to have been stolen from the home of an 85-year-old man in Easingwold sometime between Saturday 12 January and Wednesday 31 January 2013.
Officers have released images of the stolen pieces, which mainly originate from the 68th Durham Light Infantry, in the hope that someone will recognise them and come forward.
PC Adam Gatenby, of Easingwold police, said: “The owner of the military pieces is shocked and upset by this theft. They are extremely precious to him and hold great sentimental value.
“He has been collecting the pieces, which are his prized possessions, for over 40 years and would greatly welcome their return.
“The items which have been stolen are rare, so selling them for a good price could only be achieved at specialist dealerships. They are also rare enough to stand out if they were to be sold to a pawnbroker.
“Therefore, I am appealing to dealers of military memorabilia and pawnbrokers to be on the look out for the stolen items and to contact the police or Crimestoppers if they come into contact with them.”
The stolen memorabilia was wrapped in tissue and stored in a shoebox at the victim’s home.
Anyone who can help officers to locate the memorabilia is urged to contact North Yorkshire Police on 101 – select option 2 – and ask for Adam Gatenby or Easingwold police.
If you wish to remain anonymous, Crimestoppers can be contacted anonymously on 0800 555 111.
Please quote reference number 12130018489 when passing information about this incident.
A list of the stolen items is included below.
- 68th Regiment officer’s helmet plate (1878 – 1881)
- 68th Regiment oval silver shoulder belt plate
- 68th Light Infantry gilt and silver shoulder belt plate
- 68th Light Infantry brass cast shoulder belt plate
- Durham Light Infantry other ranks helmet plate (1879 – 81)
- Durham Light Infantry other ranks helmet plate (1881)
- 3rd Vol. Bn. Durham Light Infantry other ranks W.M helmet plate (1881) x3
- Large size Durham Light Infantry badge, silver presentation piece
- Castle Eden Rifles QVC silver shoulder belt plate
- 1st Newcastle Artillery volunteers QVC (white metal)
- Militia Artillery gilt QVC
- Sligo Artillery gilt QVC
- Royal Army Medical Corps KC, gilt officers (1902)
- Royal Artillery QVC gilt Sabertache badge
- Other ranks brass Shako Plate (1816 – 1822) 9th Regiment
- The Light Infantry officers pouch belt (silver badges)
|Get the latest local news direct to your inbox.
Sign up now for our email updates.