Sia & Sean Paul: Cheap ThrillsiTunesAmazon

Minster FM News

Contact the News Team:
Tel: 01904 486598

Suspended sentence for Selby mum who accidentally killed her son


2:26pm 24th November 2011
(Updated 4:12pm 24th November 2011)

A suspended sentence for a Selby mum who accidentally killed her son.

21 year old Sophie Boyeldieu crashed on the A63 Selby Bypass in April.

The crash, which she doesn't remember, resulted in her 17 month old baby boy Aiden (who was a passenger in the car) being killed.

She admitting causing his death by careless driving.

21 year old Sophie sobbed in court today after hearing her baby might have survived if he'd been strapped in properly.

A police officer tried to resuscitate the youngster at the scene and he was airlifted to the LGI where he later died.

The courts heard Sophie was seen driving erratically for a mile before swerving across the carriageway into the path of an oncoming Renault minibus.

She was driving on the A63 Selby bypass with her future husband John Grice when for some “inexplicable” reason she lost control of the Honda Jazz they were travelling in.

The court was told Boyeldieu had on an earlier occasion been caught speeding and had the option of going on a speed awareness course, an invitation she declined to take up.

Eric Elliott QC said:

“You not only caused the death of a young child, but caused injuries to others.

“It is a very great shame that you did not take advantage of the driving awareness course. You might not be here today and your young son might still be alive.”

Boyeldieu, of Honeysuckle Close in Selby, was given a 12 month prison sentence (suspended for 2 years) and ordered to carry out 150 hours of unpaid work.

She was also disqualified from driving for 2 years and must take an extended driving test.


A 21 year old woman has today (Thursday 24th November 2011) been given a suspended prison sentence following a collision which took the life of her baby boy who was a passenger in her car.

Sophie Boyeldieu, 21, from Selby, pleaded guilty to causing death by careless driving at an earlier hearing at York Crown Court.  She received 12 months' imprisonment, suspended for two years, a two year driving ban, ordered to take an extended driving test in due course and she was also given 150 hours of unpaid work in the community and a £250 fine.

The fatal collision occurred on the A63 Selby bypass at 4.20pm on Thursday 7 April 2011 and resulted in the death of 17 month old Aiden Boyeldieu.

The police investigation proved that Boyeldieu had been driving carelessly for an extended period of time and that the collision was not caused by a momentary lapse of concentration. 

Traffic Sergeant Julian Pearson, of North Yorkshire Police's Roads Policing Group, said:

 "I am satisfied with this sentence, however nothing can ever bring Aiden back. His death was a terrible and avoidable tragedy.

"This was a traumatic incident for all of the witnesses and police officers involved, which resulted in a sensitive and difficult investigation. I also fully recognise the pain and anguish that Aiden's loved ones have been through and continue to experience.

"I just hope that this sentence sends a clear message to drivers that they need to pay attention to the road at all times. The devastating consequences of being distracted at the wheel are all too apparent as we have seen in this case."

Get Local News Alerts on Your Phone