Spin Doctors: Two PrincesiTunesAmazon

Minster FM News

Contact the News Team:
Tel: 01904 486598

Yorkshire woman in coma after using L'Oreal product


2:42pm 21st November 2011
(Updated 10:37am 22nd November 2011)

A Yorkshire family is calling for a chemical in hair-dye to be banned.

A mother-of-two from West Yorkshire is in a coma after suffering a severe allergic reaction after using a home-hair-colouring product by L'Oreal.

Her loved ones believe the chemical PPD is to blame; which is banned across some parts of Europe.

A L’Oréal spokesperson has told Minster FM:

"L’Oréal was extremely concerned to hear about this serious situation.

"We do not know the details of the case so it would be inappropriate for us to comment further, however we will do everything we can to assist this lady’s family and medical team with information they might need to establish what happened."


Julia McCabe is on a life-support machine in the intensive care unit at Airedale General Hospital, West Yorkshire, after using a L’Oréal Preference home hair-colour kit on October 30th.

When the 38-year-old estate agent began to experience breathing difficulties, her husband rushed her to hospital but her heart stopped on the six-minute journey.

Her dad said medical staff warned them the damage to her brain means ‘she will never be the same Julie again’.

Her son Luke, 20, and daughter Abigail, 15, have been at her bedside since the incident.

Get Local News Alerts on Your Phone