Ed Sheeran: PerfectiTunesAmazon

Minster FM News

Contact the News Team:
Tel: 01904 486598

Life sentence for York killer


12:01pm 9th November 2011
(Updated 12:06pm 9th November 2011)

Killer Brian Cox must spend at least 18 years in jail for the murder of a York father of 5.

40 year old Mark Webb had his throat slashed in Acomb back in March.

He bled to death in an alleyway.

29 year old Brian Cox was found guilty of his murder yesterday; today he's been given a life sentence (a minimum of 18 year in jail, less 256 days already served in custody.)
Cox's girlfriend, Mr Webb's estranged wife Susan Webb, was convicted of two counts of perverting the course of justice,

She'll be sentenced at a later date.

North Yorkshire Police's official statement

Brian Cox, 29, of Bede Avenue, York, was found guilty of the murder of Mark John Webb on Tuesday 8th November 2011.

Mr Webb’s estranged wife, 30-year-old Susan Webb of Middleton Road, York was found guilty of two charges of perverting the course of justice; one of making a false statement to the police and one for washing blood away from the scene. She was found not guilty of perverting the course of justice by disposing of the weapon. She will be sentenced at a later date.

Dawn Heather Coates, 50, of Chapel Terrace, York, was found not guilty of perverting the course of justice.

Mark Webb, 40, of Cornlands Road, York, died on 4th March 2011, following an incident at a property on Stuart Road, Acomb, York, when Brian Cox inflicted a fatal, 19cm slash wound to Mr Webb’s neck, which severed his jugular vein.

Mr Webb’s body was discovered by a police officer in the driveway of his former home in Middleton Road, York, where he had staggered to as he bled to death following the attack.

The victim’s estranged wife, Susan Webb, tried to cover Cox’s tracks by denying that he was ever present at the scene of the attack and claiming that the wound was self inflicted. She also washed blood away from the scene of the attack.

Senior Investigating Officer, Detective Superintendent Ray Galloway, of North Yorkshire Police, said:

“We welcome this verdict as the attack on Mark Webb by Brian Cox was vicious and brutal and he was just left to die from his injuries in the street.

“Cox is clearly a significant danger to the community and he must now face the consequences of this savage attack.

“The actions of Susan Webb, which were intended to cover up what had happened to her husband and to frustrate the police investigation, were callous in the extreme and I welcome her conviction, also.”

Family statement from Mark Webb’s mother, Diane Atkinson and his sister, Julie Twamley:

“Mark was just 40 years old when his life was brutally cut short by Cox.

“He was devoted to his five children and our family’s grief has been intensified by the fact that we never got say to goodbye properly, due to Susan Webb’s lies that Mark had caused his own injury.

“During the initial days of the investigation, we were very concerned for Susan and the children. We now feel very angry that not only did she play a part in this incident but she lied throughout the investigation in support of Brian Cox.

“We have been robbed of a son, dad, brother, uncle and granddad in the most violent and brutal way imaginable. This verdict means we are now able to mourn the loss of Mark, knowing that the man responsible for his death has now been held accountable along with those who tried to cover up the truth.

“We would like to thank everyone involved in the investigation including North Yorkshire Police investigators, our Family Liaison Officers, the witnesses who came forward to give evidence and the Crown Prosecution Service for helping to bring justice for Mark.

“Finally we would like to thank all our family, friends and Mark’s friends for their support during this traumatic period in our lives.”

CPS Statement

Michael Blackwood, from the Crown Prosecution Service released this statement:

“This was a savage and brutal attack which resulted in the tragic death of Mark Webb.

“The prosecution’s case was that Cox had deliberately and viciously attacked Mark Webb with a Stanley knife, causing a wound which was 19 cm long which severed his jugular vein. 

“Today the jury returned a verdict of murder. Whilst nothing can undo the terrible wrong done to Mark’s family and friends, we hope that today’s verdict brings them some degree of comfort.”



Get Local News Alerts on Your Phone