Sexual attacker still on the loose in Market Weighton
4:39pm 24th August 2011
Advice to women in Market Weighton as a sexual attacker's still on the loose.
Last Sunday a woman and a friend accepted a lift from a stranger after a night out in the town.
One woman was dropped off safety - the other was assaulted in a layby on the A1079.
Humberside Poice are now issuing advice to local women ahead of the bank holiday weekend.
The advice is:
- Eat something before you drink - Don't go out drinking on an empty stomach, the food will help soak up the alcohol.
- Let people know where you are going and when you'll be home - If you are going to be staying out then let the people you live with know.
- Drinking in rounds may make you feel under pressure to drink quicker and more than you intended to. Also try and stick to a budget.
- Pace yourself and avoid binge drinking - know your limits.
- Don't mix alcohol and drugs - the consequences of this could potentially be life threatening.
- Don't leave your drink unattended, and don't accept drinks from strangers.
- Plan your journey home - Make sure you know where you will be going. Are you going back home or will you be staying with a friend?
- Have the number of a registered taxi firm in your phone or handbag - NEVER get into an un-licensed taxi.
- Never accept a lift from a stranger
- Some taxi firms will let you pre book a car for the time you want to go home.
- If you are out with a group of friends, ensure you stay in a group - Do not be in a pub or club on your own. Make sure somebody knows where you are at all times.
- Carry a mobile on you, which is charged up and has credit.
BACKGROUND TO CASE
Police in Market Weighton are continuing to appeal to members of the public following an allegation of a serious sexual assault.
The incident occurred at around 2.30am on Sunday 14th August 2011 when two women accepted a lift from a man driving a small red car outside of the Netto store on High Street, Market Weighton.
The car was driven along High Street, before one of the women got out of the vehicle. The man then drove the remaining woman along Holme Road where he switched off his headlights before turning left onto the A1079 and driving into a lay-by on the A1079 . It is alleged that a serious sexual assault then took place.
The offender then drove the woman back into Market Weighton via Sancton Road and dropped the woman off on Spring Road sometime before 4am.
Officers investigating the incident have released an E-FIT image of a man they would like to speak to in connection with the incident. Officers are also appealing for anyone who witnessed the vehicle in or around Market Weighton to come forward to assist with inquiries.
The man is described as a white, aged between 25 and 35 years with dark coloured hair and thick bushy eyebrows.
The only description of the car is that is was a red coloured small to medium sized car.
Detective Inspector Paul Kirby from Beverley CID said:
"The man switched off the car headlights whilst driving along Holme Road and the A1079, and I am hopeful that someone driving in the area would have noticed this vehicle. We also believe that the vehicle may have been driving erratically and at speed through Market Weighton before the incident occurred.
"The vehicle was parked in the lay-by for some time and I would ask anyone that who saw the vehicle at any point during the night to contact us.
"I am urgently appealing for anyone with any information, regardless of how small or insignificant it may seem to contact Humberside Police on 0845 60 60 222 quoting log 186 of 16 August 2011, or call Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111."
|Get the latest local news direct to your inbox.
Sign up now for our email updates.