Four nights of riots
11:45am 9th August 2011
(Updated 7:52am 10th August 2011)
A forth night of riots has hit the UK.
We're geting familiar with these noises on our streets.
Louisa has the latest.
81 people were arrested in London last night and in total across England over 1000 people have seen a cell because of the violence.
David Cameron says Parliament will be recalled on tomorrow to discuss the riots that have hit London and beyond.
The Prime Minister says he would do "everything necessary to restore order to Britain's streets".
All Metropolitan Police leave has been cancelled and there will be 16,000 officers on duty tonight.
Mr Cameron made this statement outside Number Ten:.
There have been calls for police to be given water cannon to deal with the rioters.
Home Secretary Theresa May says she will discuss resources with officers later - but water cannon hasn't been considered appropriate in the past.
Woman arrested in Wakefield.
A 19 year old woman has been arrested in Wakefield.
West Yorkshire police say she allegedly posted an invite on facebook for a riot in Wakefield.
They have classed this as suspicion of encouraging violent disorder.
Man shot in Leeds
Police have today launched an appeal for witnesses after a man was shot and seriously injured in the Chapeltown area of Leeds on Monday (8th August 2011) night.
The incident happed in the Savile Place area of Chapeltown at around 6.40pm. It's believed the 34 year old local man's injuries were caused by a shot gun. He was taken to hospital where his condition is described as critical.
An investigation is underway by Detectives from the Homicide and Major Enquiry Team (HMET) who are appealing for help from the community.
Detective Chief Inspector Lisa Griffin who is leading the enquiry, said:
"This was a violent and senseless crime which has left a young man fighting for his life.
"I want people in the community to come forward and help me to solve this crime and I am particularly keen to speak to anyone who saw vehicles leaving the scene at or around 6.40pm."
Any witnesses are asked to contact police on 0845 6060606.
Clean-up operations are also underway across London and in Birmingham, Bristol and Liverpool after a night of violence.
Much of the work is being done by members of the public.
They've used Twitter to organise places to meet up and help council workers sweep up the debris.
Big crowds of people have turned out in Hackney.
An inquest has heard the man shot by police, triggering riots in Tottenham, died of a single gunshot wound to the chest.
Mark Duggan, who was 29, was killed by armed officers last week in north London, after they stopped the minicab he was travelling in.
The coroner passed on his "deepest sympathies to the family" of Mr Duggan, and said the investigation could take up to six months.
North Yorkshire Police response to London disorder
Temporary Deputy Chief Constable, Tim Madgwick, said:
“North Yorkshire Police continue to monitor the aftermath of the disorder affecting other parts of the country, and we can confirm that to date, there are no reports of any similar incidents in North Yorkshire.
“Although North Yorkshire is currently considered at low risk of such incidents occurring, we are fully prepared should any incidents of this nature be reported. Anyone who attempts to disrupt our communities will be met with the full force of the law and will face swift justice.
“Residents can expect to see extra officers on patrol in their communities over the next 24 hours, as a combination of shift changes and contingency plans allow us to provide extra patrols to reassure our local communities."
Mr Madgwick added:
“I would also like to reassure residents that North Yorkshire Police’s capability and day-to-day policing is unaffected by the extra support we have provided to the Metropolitan Police Service.
“North Yorkshire’s communities and policing needs are a priority, and mutual aid will only be considered if it does not impact on policing our own communities. Our current deployment of mutual aid is relative to our size and does not affect our operational capability.”
Chairman of North Yorkshire Police Authority, Jane Kenyon, added:
"Clearly, the events of the last two nights are disturbing and have no part in a civilised society. North Yorkshire Police have mobilised some resources to aid other parts of the country but I have to emphasise that they remain fully able to deal with any similar outbreak in our area and indeed with day to day policing needs.
"Those working within police service are sworn to protect life and property. The officers and staff who serve North Yorkshire and York do this with distinction day in, day out, and we are confident that they will rise to any challenges that present themselves.
"I am confident that members of the public will work with our officers to ensure that any intelligence of potential public unrest – however unlikely – is brought to the attention of North Yorkshire Police."
If you wish to report any suspicious activity or information, please call North Yorkshire Police on 0845 60 60 247. If you do not want to give your name, you can pass information to Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111.
Statement from the North Yorkshire Police Federation
NYP JBB Chairman, Mark Botham, says:
"We support the actions North Yorkshire Police have taken thus far in supporting the national situation and also in maintaining a safe environment in North Yorkshire. We will continue to work with the senior managers of the force in this regard.
"We hope the officers from North Yorkshire who have been sent to assist colleagues in London stay safe and return soon.
"We believe that it is too early to be analysing potential causes of the riots. But it is evident we will need a Scarman type report for the riots and a Royal Commission on Policing.
"We would urge members of the public to lobby their MPs and members of the Police Authority to ask the Home Secretary to commit to an independent enquiry into the causes of the riots AND a Royal Commission on Policing to ensure proposed police reforms are properly evaluated so we can ensure this type of thing does not happen again and that there will be sufficient resources to deal with it over the years to come.”
Statement from Humberside Police
Following recent disorder nationally Deputy Chief Constable David Griffin has released the following statement:
"There have been no incidents of large scale disorder or criminality in the Humberside area following the recent incidents in London and there is no current intelligence to suggest this is likely. Nevertheless...
"In response to these national incidents, Humberside Police have developed robust and effective plans to deal with any calls for service or incidents of disorder and criminality in the force or in neighbouring force areas.
"We are working closely with local partners and communities to reassure them that the force will continue to maintain normal service levels of policing to ensure we protect local communities from harm in a professional way. It is important that local people can go about their normal business peacefully and we will respond to any attempts to 'copy cat' the mindless violence and criminality seen elsewhere, swiftly and firmly."
|Get the latest local news direct to your inbox.
Sign up now for our email updates.