: Waiting for next track...

Minster FM News

Contact the News Team:
Tel: 01904 486598

York Hammer Attack Burglar Jailed

North Yorkshire Police

1:21pm 1st March 2014

A York man has been sentenced to 11 years in prison for a terrifying aggravated burglary in the city.


Liam Green, 21, of Bede Avenue, broke into a house on Baker Street, in the Clifton area at about 2.15 am on Tuesday 9 July 2013.


Having been disturbed and bravely confronted by the homeowner, Helen Godfrey, Green attacked her with a hammer causing serious injuries to her head and body.


Green made off from the house with a number of Helen’s belongings.


Following extensive enquiries, he was arrested at 10.30am on 11 July 2013 and later charged. 


Green pleaded guilty to aggravated burglary at York Crown Court on 27 September 2013. He was remanded in custody to allow time for pre-sentence reports.   


At a sentencing hearing at York Crown Court, he was given eight-and-a-half years’ imprisonment for assaulting the victim and a further two-and-a-half years to run consecutively for burgling the property.


Detective Constable Cheryl Quinn of York CID, the officer in the case, said: “I am extremely pleased with the sentence imposed on Liam Green.


“He subjected Helen Godfrey to a violent and terrifying ordeal which left her feeling vulnerable and anxious in her own home.


“Although Helen’s physical scars will always be a reminder of what Green put her through, I hope that this sentence goes some way to rebuilding her confidence and independence.”


Detective Chief Inspector Costello, the Senior Investigating Officer, said: "The prison sentence is a reflection of how serious an offence Green committed here.


“There can be no denying that to be woken in the middle of the night by an intruder in the bedroom of your home would be a truly terrifying experience, and thankfully such offences are very rare indeed.


“It has to be recognised how brave Helen was in this case. Not only did she confront Green, she fought with him in her bedroom. As a result to ensure he could escape, Green hit her several times with a hammer he had taken with him and some of the blows connected with her head.


“Despite her injuries, Helen managed bravely to raise the alarm and assisted the police by providing a detailed account of her actions and a description of Green.


“He left Helen knowing she had serious injuries which, for all he knew, could have been life-threatening. But he didn't care because he was too busy stealing her possessions.


“I hope the sentence brings some comfort to Helen and helps her move on with her life.”


Helen Godfrey has passed on her thanks to the entire police investigation team for the professional and dedicated way in which they dealt with this appalling crime.  She said it was thanks to their relentless hard work and a huge team effort, which resulted in the successful conviction of Green.

Get Local News Alerts on Your Phone