York Buskival Weekend
6:00am 25th May 2013
York prepares to be amazed as six professional street performers have been chosen to wow audiences at Buskival in York this weekend, (Saturday 25 and Sunday 26 May). Following the success of last year’s festival, some of the world’s best performers have been asked to perform at the event alongside local buskers.
The selected line-up is confirmed by York City Council as follows:
- The Great Dave is a juggler with a difference. Obessed with the English tradition of tea, milk and 2 sugars, 3 metres in the air and on one wheel.
- Dynamike’s warm up is speed chainsaw juggling – his big finale involves riding a tall unicycle and juggling 3 sharp machete knives.
- Kiki Bittovabitsch is a champion physical comedian, contortionist, cat and audience herder.
- Rob Roy Collins is a Guinness World Record holder and one of the UK’s leading escape artists, combining balance, acrobatics, and escapology with a natural sense of humour, comic timing and showmanship.
- Pete Dobbing, whilst balancing on an unsupported 10ft ladder, has mastered the ultimate retro challenge - a Rubiks cube solved in 90 seconds.
- Victor Rubilar holds 5 Guinness World Records and specialises in juggling with up to five footballs, comedy and dance.
Councillor Sonja Crisp, Cabinet member for Leisure, Culture and Tourism said: “This year the line-up will be joined by a number of roaming artists, including Betty Balloon, Marie Antoinette, Robot Rock and Sergeant Majors who will move around the city entertaining residents and visitors alike. Buskival is a family friendly event attracting local, national and international street performers. Once again we welcome all sorts of amazing, top quality entertainment which will give York a fun and friendly atmosphere during the bank holiday weekend."
After the first day’s performances the professional buskers will be invited to share their experience and expertise with local street performers at a networking event on Saturday evening. The public will have their chance to learn new skills in a circus skills workshop which takes place in Parliament Street from 11am to 4pm on Saturday and 12noon to 5pm on Sunday. The workshop is free and no advance booking is necessary.
Buskival takes place from 11am to 7pm on Saturday 25 May and from 12noon to 5pm on Sunday 26 May. For more information about Buskival visit www.yorkfestivals.com, www.facebook.com/Buskival or follow @York_Festivals on twitter.
For more information on busking in York contact Debbie Bell, City of York Council, email@example.com or call 01904 552270.
|Get the latest local news direct to your inbox.
Sign up now for our email updates.