Night of Drama for York's Amateur Actors
6:01am 1st May 2013
Participants in York’s vibrant amateur dramatics scene – from musical societies to local panto groups – are being giving the chance to meet the movers and shakers from York’s key media outlets on Wednesday 1 May, when the Joseph Rowntree Theatre on Haxby Road hosts a chance to meet the journalists and publishers responsible for sharing news across the city.
“As a volunteer-run theatre, we’re only too aware of how important it is to keep your profile high, but for many amateur groups, the thought of contacting journalists to ask for support can be a little daunting,” comments Dan Shrimpton, managing director of the theatre. “We’re bringing together representatives from across the city’s media so that those in groups who are responsible for publicising shows and concerts can find out how they can make the most of media opportunities – not only to make sure that their performances have the largest possible audiences, but also to let the public know about auditions and other opportunities within their groups.”
The ‘Meet the Media’ evening runs from 7.00pm to 9.00pm at the Joseph Rowntree Theatre on Haxby Road in York. Representatives from any amateur dramatics, musical or pantomime societies in and around York are welcome to attend, but are asked to pre-register by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org .
The Joseph Rowntree Theatre is run entirely by volunteers, and regularly hosts pantomimes, theatre, musicals and concerts by both amateur and professional performers. The current show is “Guys and Dolls”, by the New Earswick Musical Society, running until 27 April. Other shows in the next month include:
- Like Father Like Son Graham and Richard Kay 28 April
- Save The Last Dance York St John Dance 3 May
- Tip Top Dance Evelyn Witcombe School of Dance 9 May to 11 May
- Steve Cassidy Band Steve Cassidy Band 19 May
- Whistle Down The Wind York Stage Musicals 25 May to 31 May
- National Band In Concert Church Lads & Girls Brigade National Band 1 June
- Gala Concert Shepherd Group Brass Band 8 June
- Centenary Follies Rowntree Players 14 June to 15 June
- The Boy Friend York Light Opera Company 18 June to 22 June
- Alice in Wonderland: The Musical We Are Theatre 26 June to 29 June
- Dance, Dance, Dance 2013 Yvonne Hoque School of Dance 30 June
For more information on forthcoming shows at the Joseph Rowntree Theatre, please visit www.jrtheatre.co.uk
|Get the latest local news direct to your inbox.
Sign up now for our email updates.