North Yorkshire Firefighter Saves Daughter from Choking
2:21pm 23rd April 2013
During 2012 the Service improved the first aid provision for our fire crews through the introduction of the ‘Immediate Emergency Care’ programme*. This enhanced training and the improved knowledge of our staff means that crews are able to provide a better first aid response to causalities, when we attend incidents, and also outside of work too.
The enhanced training was delivered to the firefighters at Filey station during March 2013 and proved its worth within the first few days after the daughter of one of the firefighters choked on their roast dinner.
Firefighter Ian Hinchcliffe was having dinner with his family one Sunday, having just received the ‘ how to treat someone who is choking’ element of the Immediate Emergency Care programme, when his daughter started struggling to breathe. It quickly became apparent that she was choking, and her level of consciousness began to deteriorate.
Ian was able to follow the steps involved in treating someone who is choking and managed to dislodge a piece of roast pork which had been blocking his daughter’s airway. An ambulance had already been called and she was checked at the scene but she didn’t require any further treatment, due to Ian’s quick actions.
Ian says; “If this situation had arisen before I’d had the enhanced first aid training I wouldn’t have known what to do. I’m convinced that this training and the action I was able to take, because of it, prevented the situation from dramatically worsening.”
GM Stuart Simpson said; “I am delighted that Ian was able to put in to practice what he had learnt to help his daughter, it is gratifying to know that across the Service an increasing number of firefighters now have these enhanced skills to benefit the community.”
|Get the latest local news direct to your inbox.
Sign up now for our email updates.