Minster FM News

Contact the News Team:
Tel: 01904 486598

York Council Tax Increase to be Spent on Elderly Care

Elderly hands

3:31pm 31st January 2013

The City of York Council's 2% or 38p a week increase in council tax for 2013/14 will all be spent on adult social care,

Adult social care costs rise every year as the population ages and there are more elderly people in need of support services.  Increased demand for social care services, including for those with more complex needs, is a national challenge faced by all councils and which is adding considerably to costs.  It is anticipated that by 2015, around 50% of the council’s costs will be on adult social care alone.

The City of York Council’s Labour leader, James Alexander, said it was morally right that the council funds the increase, which he described as an ‘unavoidable cost’. He said:

“The 38p a week increase is a local decision, one that we have not taken lightly at this difficult economic time but we feel we have a moral obligation to support the most vulnerable in our city.  This increase will, over two years, fund almost 50% of a £6m boost to our adult social care services”.

This announcement comes after a £1.5m boost to adult social care last year, paid for by 75% of last year’s average 54p a week increase. The other 25% of the increase was allocated to increasing funding for looked after children. This boost represents the largest increase in funding for adult social care for a number of years.

It comes as the cost of caring for the city's elderly is forecast to go overbudget by £2.6 million this financial year.

Minster FM asked James Alexander how he will make sure the increase isn't swallowed up in rising costs.


Email Icon Get the latest local news direct to your inbox.
Sign up now for our email updates

Share This Story

Submit this page to redditDelicious

We Use Cookies

This website uses cookies to store information on your computer.

By using this website you accept the use of cookies as explained in the terms of our cookie policy.