: Waiting for next track...

Minster FM News

Contact the News Team:
Tel: 01904 486598

Four years behind bars for Selby man who threatened teens

Ben Allerton sec 18 tent incident Barlby

1:28pm 14th August 2012
(Updated 3:43pm 14th August 2012)

A Selby man, who terrified a group of youngsters by threatening to run-over them, has been sentenced.

25 year old Benjamin David Allerton, of Millgate, will spend 4 years behind bars.

He's also been disqualified from driving for 18 months.

Background to the case

The courts heard, Allerton terrified the youngsters by giving them a five second countdown, missing out the number four, to get out of their tents and run before he drove his van at them.

The defendant, a landscape gardener, had joined the group of youngsters earlier that evening (11th March 2012) and had been drinking with them in a field in Barlby near the River Ouse.

Witnesses told the court he was drunk and showing off by cutting down trees to add to the group's camp-fire.

But a fight broke out when Allerton got drunk and abusive to a 13 year old girl.

About 30 to 45 minutes later Allerton returned, drove across the field at about 30mph but missed the tents.

He then shouted a countdown for the group to run, with many scattering to nearby trees, before he ploughed into the tents with his van.

Information from the courts

Allerton's changed his plea yesterday on the first day of his trial for attempted murder yesterday (Monday 13th August 2012).

He admitted to two counts of GBH; one with intent to harm, the other an attempt to injure.

Allerton has been imprisoned for four years, minus 156 days he's already spent in custody.

Detective Sergeant Mandy Grundy said:

“What began as a fun, camping adventure for the teenagers, turned into a terrifying nightmare during which they were in fear for their lives. Allerton used his vehicle as a weapon to cause serious injuries, and it goes without saying that the consequences could have been much worse.

“Although we are very pleased that the young man made a speedy recovery from his injuries, the incident occurred in the run-up to his GCSEs and meant he missed two weeks of school at a crucial time, and once he returned, had to rely on fellow pupils taking his notes.

“The incident has also affected the young girl’s confidence, leaving her scared to go out or be at home on her own. I hope that now justice has been done, she can now try to put this traumatic time behind her and move on with her life. I would like to pay tribute to all of the young victims and witnesses who assisted the investigation, it is not an easy thing to go through.

“We are pleased that yesterday’s guilty plea spared the young victims the ordeal of having to re-live their nightmare in court. The sentence reflects the seriousness of the incident and Allerton now has ample time to reflect on what he has done.”

IMAGE BELOW: Benjamin David Allerton

Ben Allerton sec 18 tent incident Barlby

Email Icon Get the latest local news direct to your inbox.
Sign up now for our email updates

Share This Story

Submit this page to redditDelicious

We Use Cookies

This website uses cookies to store information on your computer.

By using this website you accept the use of cookies as explained in the terms of our cookie policy.