York's Buskival line up announced
3:14pm 25th May 2012
City of York Council is today announcing a superb line up of performers that our confirmed for York’s first festival of busking.
The buskers are busy practicing and preparing for Buskival, which will celebrate the Jubilee weekend in York on Saturday 2nd and Sunday 3rd June.
Local performers will be lining the streets on 11 specially located busking pitches around the city, where they will entertain and wow audiences with their unique talents. There will also be a packed programme of buskers outside HomeSense on Foss Islands Road, who are sponsoring this event.
Over 50 top class street performers are attending and include magicians, musicians, fire-eaters, puppeteers, dancers, face painters, balloonists and more.
Free trail maps and performance timetables will be available throughout the weekend from the HomeSense information point in Parliament Street, so that visitors and residents can make sure they don’t miss any of the excitement.
Cllr Sonja Crisp, Cabinet Member for Leisure, Culture and Tourism, said:
“Buskival is a great opportunity for people to be entertained by the best street artists in York. With a range of activities taking place as a part of the Buskival and Jubilee celebrations there is something for the whole family to enjoy. Be sure to catch a show and be truly astonished.”
Everyone is invited to get involved by voting for their favourite busker and possibly win a £250 HomeSense gift card and five runner up gift cards of £50.
To be in with a chance of these fantastic prizes they will need to visit the HomeSense information point in Parliament Street and collect a voting card, enjoy watching the performers, select their favourite three and return their completed voting card.
The HomeSense information point will itself also have lots of activities including face painting and balloon modelling as well as details of the festival.
In addition to York’s own local talent, festival organisers are delighted to welcome some world-class acts who will also be performing during the weekend, including:
- Mr Spin: one of the most skilled street performers in the world. The award winning juggler is a regular at all the biggest street performing festivals around the world.
- Faces of Disco. Wearing masks of famous celebrities such as Prince Charles, Jedward, Barack Obama and Wayne Rooney – expect to see all the favourite celebs.
- Felicity Footloose. This world travelled acrobat lives in the 80s and just wants to dance….and hang upside down by her toes and juggle knives
- Ernest Magnifico. The daredevil from Australia performs his "Big Great Stunt Show". It starts with a flying car jump and finishes with a crazy high leap into the heavens on a pogo stick.
- Escape artistRob Roy Collins brings you street Olympics, his own version of the Olympic Games where medals will be won and records set all in the name of comedy
As well as performing in the city centre each of these amazing acts will be showcasing their talents at the HomeSense store on Foss Island Road over the weekend at the following times: Saturday 2 June 11.30am Ernest Magnifico, 1.45pm Felicity Footloose, 2.45pm Faces of Disco and Sunday 3rd June 1.45pm Rob Roy Collins, 2.30pm Mr Spin.
Richard Andrews from HomeSense said:
“It looks like York will be an amazing place to be on the Diamond Jubilee weekend with such a great line up. We’re pleased to be entertaining York and particularly looking forward to the entertainment on our own doorstep.”
|Get the latest local news direct to your inbox.
Sign up now for our email updates.