Queen's visit to York
12:00am 5th April 2012
(Updated 8:53pm 5th April 2012)
The Queen arrived in York at 10.28am this morning at York train station.
A fleet of vehicles then took Her Majesty, Prince Philip and Princess Beatrice in to the city through Micklegate Bar.
York's Lord Mayor David Horton officially granted them entrance.
The royal party then travelled to York Minster, where 86 women and 86 men are waiting to receive their Maundy Money.
Each recipient receives two purses, one red and one white.
The red purse will contain a £5 coin commemorating The Queen's Diamond Jubilee, and a 50p coin. Both coins have been minted in 2012.
The white purse will contain uniquely minted Maundy Money. This takes the form of silver one, two, three and four penny pieces, the sum of which equals the number of years the Monarch has years of age.
This year there will be 86 pennies worth distributed. All the coins are newly minted this year.
The recipients are all retired pensioners recommended by clergy and ministers of all denominations, in recognition of service to the Church and to the community in York. To mark Her Majesty's Diamond Jubilee, this year recipients for the Royal Maundy Money have also been chosen from every Diocese and Country with the United Kingdom.
After the Service, the Royal party will sign the Minster visitors' book and an official photograph will be taken of The Queen and the Royal Maundy party outside the Great West Door. There will be a reception at the Deanery followed by a Civic lunch at Mansion House.
In the afternoon, Her Majesty and Their Royal Highnesses will visit the exhibition "1212: The Making of the City" at the Yorkshire Museum. The new exhibition marks the 800th anniversary of York's independence, telling the story of medieval York and celebrating the people, places and events that have contributed to the city's medieval heritage.
We'll full coverage of The Queen's visit here on Minster FM, with special reports throughout the day.
Tracy Gee was on the scene for Minster FM outside York Minster at 9am:
PICTURED: Crowds are starting to build outside the Minster.
BELOW: Minster FM's Tracy Gee reports from outside the York Minster at 10am
Crowds are getting ready to wave their flags:
PICTURED Below: The Maundy Money Purses
10.30am UPDATED - Tracy Gee is at York Minster waiting for the Maundy Thursday service.
Those lucky enough to get in to the Minster for the Maundy Thursday service take their seats.
Tracy Gee reports live from York Minster at 10.50am where the Maundy Thursday Service will take place at 11am for the Queen.
The festivities are starting to build up at Micklegate Bar:
PICTURED BELOW: The crowds outside York Minster have grown. Up to 7000 by 11am.
Inside York Minster the Yeoman of the Guard parade around.
10.55am UPDATE: The Queen has now arrived in York.
Minster FM's James Watt witnesses her come through Micklegate Bar. Tracy Gee was at York Minster.
Listen to their reports below:
Tracy was there reporting for Minster FM as Her Majesty, Prince Philip and Princess Beatrice arrived.
From inside York Minster the congregation sang a song familiar to Her Majesty:
PICTURED BELOW: Some of the Maundy Money recipients
The Queen then greeted the crowds outside York Minster.
PHOTO BELOW: Her Majesty gave Minster FM's Tracy Gee a nice smile as she snapped a few shots
Prince Phillip waiting as his wife, The Queen, greets the crowds.
The Queen and the royal party then visited the York Deanery (the residence of the Dean of York Minster).
During this time Tracy rushed around to Mansion House, where The Queen was going for lunch, to witness her arrival:
15,000 people is the official figure which has now been released on the amount of people who've decended on York today.
Her Majesty this afternoon visited the Yorkshire Museum to see the new exhibition there.
HM The Queen presents York with new cap of maintenance
Her Majesty The Queen has presented the Lord Mayor of York, Councillor David Horton, with a new cap of maintenance today.
The significance of the hat dates back to 1393, when King Richard II presented the first cap to York and stipulated that it should not be taken off in front of God or King.
Richard II presented the hat in 1393 to Robert Savage, Lord Mayor, and the first mention of a hat in the city records dates from 1442/43 when it went for repair.
Traditionally the monarch presents the cap to the City of York, highlighting the city’s importance as the cap signifies rank and prestige.
HM The Queen presented the new cap today in The Mansion House with a short ceremony in the Dining Room.
The sword bearer knelt in front of The Queen, who then lifted the new cap and presented this to The Lord Mayor.
The Lord Mayor of York, Cllr David Horton, said: “It’s been a wonderful day and I thank everyone who was involved in making this so memorable. It was an incredible honour to welcome Her Majesty The Queen and the Royal Party to York and we will treasure these memories for years to come.”
The oldest cap City of York has in existence dates back from 1580 and the current cap in use dates from 1915 and was made from the coronation robes of George V. There were five hats in total, including the 1915 hat and the 2012
A cap of maintenance tradition that dates back to 1393 is still carried out today, when the sword bearer enters a church the hat is removed briefly as a sign of respect then replaced on the sword bearer’s head.
The 1915 hat was made in York by Andersons to the design of Risdale-Tate and presented to the Lord Mayor at a ceremony at Buckingham place
The costume of the sword bearer up until 1947 was of typical 18th century design with tailcoat, tights and buckles on the shoes and a dress sword. After this date the tailcoat is retained but the tights, shoes and sword are discontinued. We still retain the four dress swords, which date from late 18 century.
Both the sword and macebearer wear collars of silver. These were originally the city waits chains and when the waits were disbanded in 1835 at the municipal corporations act the chains passed to the sword and mace bearer. The collars them selves date from the 1560s with later additions.
Photograph below by Les Gibbon
|Get the latest local news direct to your inbox.
Sign up now for our email updates.