Police issue shotgun safety warning
8:37am 26th January 2012
North Yorkshire Police are urging shooters to make sure that they take care when out shooting.
This advice follows to accidental shootings in the county in the last week.
The first incident occurred during an organised shoot on Saturday 21 January 2012, on Woodhouse Lane, Strensall when a group of five men were shooting. A 46-year-old local man was struck in the face by a number of pellets. He was treated at York District Hospital for minor injuries before being released.
The second incident happened the following day (Sunday 22 January 2012) at 11.35am on an organised shoot taking place on land at a farm in the Selby area. A 46-year-old man from Rotherham was hit in the leg. He suffered superficial injuries which were treated at Doncaster hospital.
Although at this stage there is no suggestion that any offences have been committed, in both cases the guns, belonging to the people who discharged them, have been seized by the police while officers investigate the exact circumstances of the incidents.
Dave Coutts, Head of Firearms’ Licensing, said:
“Thankfully, neither of the people injured in these incidents was seriously harmed. However, the consequences could have been far more serious.
“Shooters need to make sure that they are aware of what is happening around them and that their guns are never pointed in anyone else’s direction. It is also essential that when the gun is not being fired the safety catch is on to prevent accidental discharge.”
Debbie Collins, of the British Association for Shooting and Conservation (BASC), said:
"Safety must be the first consideration for anyone taking part in shooting. Accidents are thankfully very rare which is a testament to the safety-consciousness of every safe and responsible shooter. For information on shotgun safety, click here"
|Get the latest local news direct to your inbox.
Sign up now for our email updates.