10 Ways To Prevent Cancer
12:01am 22nd September 2011
It's two and half years to the day since Jade Goody lost her battle with cervical cancer.
The reality TV stars death promted a serge in the number of women going for screenings.
But that's now ceased, leaving England lagging behind the rest of Europe in survival rates.
TOP TEN TIPS TO TRY AND PREVENT CANCER
1. Avoid Smoking and Exposure to Smoke
2. Practice Sun Safety and Recognize When Skin Changes Occur
3. Eat Your Fruits and Veggies
Fruits and vegetables contain antioxidants, which help repair our damaged cells. Green, orange and yellow fruits and vegetables are your best bet to help prevent cancer. Studies also show that dark fruits, like blueberries and grapes, may also have anti-cancer properties.
4. Limit Red Meat and Animal Fat
5. Limit Your Alcohol Intake
6. Exercise for Cancer Prevention
7. Know Your Personal and Family Medical HistoryKnowing your family history of cancer is important to properly assess your risk factor for certain types of cancer. We know that cancers like breast, colon, ovarian, and possibly other types can be hereditary.
If you know that a certain type of cancer runs in your family, let your doctor know. Together, you can determine a proper screening plan and assess your true risk. Genetic testing and counseling is available and may be recommended based on your family's medical history.
8. Know What You're Being Exposed to in Your Work Environment
9. Practice Safe Sex
10. Get Screened for Cancer Regularly
Cancer screening tests can be useful not only in detecting cancer, but also helping prevent it. Screening tests like the colonoscopy and Pap smear can detect abnormal cellular changes before they turn cancerous. The key to their effectiveness, however, is that they are done regularly.
|Get the latest local news direct to your inbox.
Sign up now for our email updates.