Ryedale family support charity faces closure
12:00am 4th June 2011
Family support charity, Home-Start Ryedale is hit with a funding crisis.
Without urgent funds, the charity will be facing closure by 30th June 2011. This will mean the immediate loss of support to the 15 families and 40 children currently supported by Home-Start Ryedale and the loss of 10 trained parent volunteers. It will also mean the loss of the only family support charity in the district.
“We are applying for major funds and for every other scrap of money we can,” said scheme co-ordinator Jo Oliver. “It costs around £4,000 to £5,000 per month to run our charity and we need to secure significant funding in the very near future. Otherwise, we will be issuing all our staff with redundancy notices and closing by the end of June. We are waiting to hear from the Big Lottery, but won’t know about that until nearly the end of June. We are also talking to North Yorkshire County Council who has supported us since we were set up in 2007. But their own funding cuts mean they are also struggling to keep their support for us going.”
Home-Start Ryedale is one of 334 Home-Starts across the UK, making up part of the UK’s leading family support charity. (All local Home-Starts are independent charities in their own right).
What does Home-Start do?
- Home-Start supports families who are struggling to cope and helps fragile families become strong again. This is achieved by recruiting and training parent volunteers who offer both emotional and practical support to families in their own homes.
Home-Start Ryedale has been supporting families since November 2009, when it became operational. Families supported face many challenges from post natal depression to rural isolation and deprivation. If Home-Start Ryedale closes there will be NO other early intervention services to support these families in the same way that Home-Start does. One mum supported by Home-Start Ryedale said: “Without the help of Home-Start, I wouldn’t be here any more and my children would be in care.”
Officials have told Minster FM why they think their service is so special:
Home-Start Ryedale is an essential charity for the community because unlike many other charities:
- Home-Start support ordinary families going through extraordinary times;
- Families can self-refer- no need for children services referral;
- Home-Start works alongside the family to address the problems that they have identified and stay with them whilst they need support rather than being time- limited support;
- Home-Start is here for ordinary families-almost all parents will understand the problems that Home-Start families are facing;
- The support for families is ‘needs-tested’ not ‘means tested’;
- Whilst there are many charities and organisations providing a range of services within Ryedale, Home-Start Ryedale firmly believes that its service is unique.
|Get the latest local news direct to your inbox.
Sign up now for our email updates.