Drink and drug driving crackdown continued success.
1:17pm 20th December 2010
No let-up in drink drive crackdown
Drink and drug drivers continue to be caught out as police enforce their festive crackdown.
This year police are taking an even firmer stance against drink and drug driving and have established a special fast-track court system to deal with offenders as quickly as possible.
People who are caught driving while under the influence of drink or drugs face the risk of being charged, appearing before the courts and losing their licence before the New Year.
Some offenders could even be banned from the roads before Christmas, with a number of court dates scheduled for the next week.
Since the operation began on December 1 2010, officers have stopped 3101 vehicles, breathalysed 2651 drivers, arrested 27 people for drink driving and four people for driving while unfit through drugs.
Inspector Dave Brown, head of roads policing for North Yorkshire Police, said: “This year we are taking the issue of drink and drug driving more seriously than ever.
“It is staggering that people still think it’s acceptable to drink and drive and it is our job to catch these individuals and make sure they know that their behaviour is not only unacceptable but it puts lives at risk.
“There are obvious and devastating consequences when somebody drinks before getting behind the wheel, such as killing an innocent victim or putting your own life at risk.
“However, there are other factors which people don’t consider. For example, if you get caught you will lose your licence. If you lose your licence you will probably lose your job. If you lose your job, you lose your financial stability. If you lose your financial stability, you may lose your house.
“Not only are you playing with the lives of others if you drive when unfit to do so. You risk ruining your own life too. Before you drink and drive think about the effects it can have on you and your family as well as a potential victim and their family.
“Drink and drug driving is not worth it – don’t do it. If you do, we will catch you and you will be appropriately dealt with.”
Inspector Brown also thanked the public for supporting the drink and drug driving campaign and providing information about people suspected of drink driving.
He said: “It is pleasing to see that members of the public are supporting us in our endeavors by providing us with information on drink and drug drivers - information we have been able to use successfully.
“I implore people to continue providing us with this intelligence - we need the support of our communities in addressing this issue and all information received will be dealt with appropriately and confidentially.”
12 drivers have already appeared before the courts and have all received driving bans of between 12 and 24 months. The mandatory punishment is a 12 month ban, however this can increase depending on the circumstances.
For example, a 31-year-old man was banned for 23 months as he was twice the legal limit and had been involved in a collision.
Over the coming weeks a number of people charged with driving while unfit through drink or drugs will appear before the courts.
|Get the latest local news direct to your inbox.
Sign up now for our email updates.