British boy missing feared drowned
1:34pm 4th November 2010
(Updated 4:42pm 4th November 2010)
The boy is thought to have been part of a group of youngsters struck by a powerful wave while holidaying on an island near Rio de Janeiro.
A spokesman for the Foreign Office said: "We can confirm a British national has been reported missing in Brazil.
"We are providing consular assistance to next of kin."
Reports named the missing boy as 13-year-old Elliot Deslandes.
Some national newspapers have claimed the youngster is from York.
But Minster FM have discovered his mum is based in Arnold, a northern suburb of Nottingham.
According to the Nottingham Evening Post, the teenager was due to return home today from a trip to a Buddhist event with a friend and his friend's mother.
The incident happened on November 2 near Lopes Mendes beach on the popular tourist island of Ilha Grande, 50 miles southwest of Rio.
It is thought Elliot and friends had been staying at the Pousada Naturalia guest house in the island's main village.
No-one was available at the holiday home to comment.
Reports suggest the friends were at the beach when a strong wave washed them out to sea.
Others in the group were able to battle the current back to shore, but it is feared that Elliot was thrown against some rocks in the incident.
His mother Beverley White told the Nottingham Evening Post: "All I know is they got into difficulty. There was a big wave and the lads got swept out but he didn't come up.
"All I know is my little boy is out there all on his own. I don't know what to do."
A Facebook group called Pray for Elliot Deslandes, a student at Redhill School in Nottingham, has been set up.
On the page, Jack Deslandes Meldrum posted: "Elliot Deslandes Has been washed out at sea please pray that he is ok!, I love you man.
"He was the nicest guy i know, Please elliot swim to shore. any shore. I just want to see your smile again?"
Hopie Vanity Monroe wrote: "Omg. Please come back Elliot, I know that I didn't know you much but you were in alot of my lessons.. and its not gonna be the same..I hope he's okay."
A collection has been started in Nottingham to help Elliot's 31-year-old mother fly out to Brazil to assist with the search.
One reader of the Nottingham Evening Post came forward and offered to pay for all of the air fares.
|Get the latest local news direct to your inbox.
Sign up now for our email updates.