Claudia Lawrence: A year on
7:14am 18th March 2010
(Updated 6:03pm 19th March 2010)
Police investigating the disappearance of Claudia Lawrence say they are looking for a man she spent the night with, two days before going missing.
Detective Superintendent Ray Galloway's revealed Claudia was out with a mystery man just two days before she disappeared. She apparently told work mates at York University she had been out till 4am on the Monday with this 'new friend'. Mr Galloway is leading the search for Claudia and has told us it's "critical" they speak to this man - describing the development as "extremely hot intelligence".
It's now raised questions about whether Claudia slept at her home on Heworth on the night of the 18th of March.
A year since Claudia vanished
This new lead has come to light on the one year anniversary of Claudia's disappearance.
Her Dad Peter will appear on the TV programme 'Missing People' and This Morning to talk about the past 12 months and appeal for fresh information. He remains adamant that if Claudia had a new boyfriend she would have told him or her two friends Suzy Cooper or Jen King.
Her Mum Joan Lawrence has released this statement via the Malton and Pickering Mercury
"I find it hard to believe we are a year down the line from the date which
will be in my mind for the rest of my life. I can't begin to describe the
feelings that went through my mind when we received the call that Claudia had disappeared. I was numb at first, stunned, this sort of thing happens to other people. You don't expect it to happen to you and your family.
"I keep going every day, there is always something that needs doing. The
support from family, friends and local people is wonderful, it's a huge comfort to me and I am so grateful. The pain never goes away, the emptiness inside me. The reminders are all over my flat, presents, notes, cards, photographs. Many is the time I come across something by accident and stop and shed a tear. "I have now to find a way forward once these painful anniversaries are past.It must be kept in the public eye and I shall do my best to do that. We can't let people forget her - someone, somewhere knows something."
Investigation so far
The case which remains one of suspected murder has now cost North Yorkshire Police over £600,000.
Detectives have questioned nearly 2,800 people in this country and abroad. They've taken the search to Ireland and Cyprus.
They've taken over 1,270 calls and have searched over 1,300 properties including 1,000 university rooms in halls of residence.
|Get the latest local news direct to your inbox.
Sign up now for our email updates.