Woman faces possible charges after false Sex assault allegation
4:22pm 29th August 2014
(Updated 12:27pm 1st September 2014)
Detectives investigating a serious sexual assault in York have now established that it did not take place.
The 19-year-old local woman, who claimed she had been assaulted on Friargate at around 9pm on Thursday 21 August 2014, has admitted that she made a false report to the police.
Officers are now considering whether the woman will face any police action.
Detective Chief Inspector Matt Walker, York CID, said: “The withdrawal of this allegation follows a detailed and thorough investigation by detectives.
“Although I am able to reassure people that this incident did not happen, I do not want any victims of this appalling crime to feel that we will not deal with their case with the utmost seriousness.
“We treat all reports of sexual assaults very seriously. In all cases, a key priority for the investigating officers is ensuring that the victims receive the care and support they need.”
DCI Walker added: “If you are the victim of sexual assault, I urge you to contact the police so that we can bring the offender to justice.”
Anyone who is the victim of a sexual assault or is affected by sexual abuse, whether it is happening now, or occurred many years ago, should not hesitate to come forward to the police or contact one of the many agencies who can help.
If you do not want to talk to the police, you can contact Bridge House, North Yorkshire's Sexual Assault Referral Centre (SARC) directly on 01904 669339 www.turntobridgehouse.org
- To contact North Yorkshire Police please call 101.
- If you have a speech or hearing impairment you can use Textphone 18001
- In an emergency or if your safety is threatened, always call the police on 999
- Textphone 18000 - in an emergency
- North Yorkshire's Confidential Rape Support Line, 0300 111 0777 run by the Independent Domestic Abuse Services (IDAS)
- National Rape Crisis Support Line Freephone 0808 802 9999
|Get the latest local news direct to your inbox.
Sign up now for our email updates.