Burglars Who Targeted Selby Locked Up For 14 Years
6:14am 30th July 2014
(Updated 6:15am 30th July 2014)
James John Burke, 28, of Apple Grove in Auckley, Doncaster, and Simon Robert Bellwood, 36, of Ferndale View, Doncaster, both pleaded guilty to conspiracy to commit burglary and were imprisoned at Sheffield Crown Court on Wednesday 23 July.
Burke and Bellwood targeted 55 properties throughout Yorkshire and Humberside, including 10 in the Selby area, between March and May 2014.
Working closely with South Yorkshire Police and Humberside Police, officers from Selby discovered that they were often breaking into properties when the occupants were on holiday and stealing high-value jewellery and cash.
They were then selling the stolen items on to unsuspecting jewellers, meaning that many of the victims have not been reunited with their possessions.
Burke and Bellwood were each sentenced to seven years’ imprisonment.
It is important to be extra security conscious at this time of year particularly if you are going away on holiday.
Make sure bear your home security in mind before you leave and follow these simple crime prevention steps from North Yorkshire Police.
- Use timer switches on lights to make you’re home look occupied in the evenings
- If possible leave a car in your driveway or ask a neighbour to park there car on your driveway whilst you’re away.
- Ask a neighbour to check on your home while you’re away and move any post out of sight.
- Cancel any regular delivers such as milk and newspapers.
- If you have a lawn cut it before you go away and trim back any bushes or shrubs that burglars could hide behind.
- Lock away any valuable items such as pedal cycles – they may be safer in your home than in an outhouse or shed.
For more advice about protecting your property from thieves visit the North Yorkshire Police website www.northyorkshire.police.uk/homesecurity
|Get the latest local news direct to your inbox.
Sign up now for our email updates.