People in Pocklington, Market Weighton and Stamford Bridge Urged to Nominate for Awards
11:18am 11th February 2014
East Riding of Yorkshire Council is reminding residents that time is running out to submit a nomination for the prestigious Chairman's Awards 2014. The council presents the awards to individuals, companies and organisations in the East Riding in recognition of their achievements towards enhancing the wellbeing of the area in which they work and live.
The council wants to hear about people in local communities who have helped others - a tireless fundraiser, a local sporting hero, a business which has created new jobs in the area, someone who has restored a home to its former glory, or someone who improves the area they live in by creating wildlife habitats, planting flowers or addressing litter problems.
Judges then go through each nomination, and the top entries in each category will be invited to an awards ceremony, to be held at The Spa Bridlington in May, where the winners will be announced.
The awards are split into five categories: community, built heritage, environment, business and sport:
* The community category recognises groups and individuals who work tirelessly to help others in the community with a non-commercial project.
* The built heritage category celebrates private homes and business premises which have been sympathetically renovated and restored to retain the character of the East Riding.
* The environment category is for those who have improved the environment or area where they live. This includes reducing waste, addressing litter problems or creating and enhancing wildlife habitats.
* The business award recognises companies who have helped the economy flourish. This can be through recent expansion, the creation of new jobs or investing in the training of employees and the area.
* The sport category has two categories: junior volunteer and talented performer.
Chairman of East Riding of Yorkshire Council, Councillor Claude Mole, said: "The Chairman's Awards offer a fantastic opportunity for the public to nominate individuals or groups and I am delighted that the council are able to support them for another year."
"There are many people who work tirelessly in their communities to make a difference to others and often receive little recognition. The Chairman's Awards are the ideal opportunity to show them how much their work is appreciated."
To submit a nomination for the Chairman's Awards, visit www.eastriding.gov.uk/chairmansawards or ring the civic office on (01482) 393260. The closing date for nominations is Friday 21 February 2014.
|Get the latest local news direct to your inbox.
Sign up now for our email updates.