York is City Most Reliant on London-Based Firms
3:05pm 27th January 2014
York is the city most-reliant on London-based firms for jobs in the UK with more than one in five people employed in the private sector working for a company which has it's headquarters in the capital.
The Centre for Cities report says that 22.4% of private sector workers are working for a London-based firm. The highest proportion of any city in the UK apart from the capital itself. In comparison, fewer than one in forty people are employed by a firm which has it's headquarters in Leeds.
But Susie Cawood from the York & North Yorkshire Chamber of Commerce says it's not the case that York is a "Little London".
- York has the 5th lowest number of people claiming Job Seekers' Allowance at 1.6%
- York has the 7th lowest private sector employment growth in the UK
- York has the 7th highest percentage of people with high qualifications in the UK
- York has the 6th lowest level of inequality in the UK
- York has the 9th worst connection rates for superfast broadband of UK cities.
|Get the latest local news direct to your inbox.
Sign up now for our email updates.