Government Accused of Wasting £18 Million in York Army Move
4:03pm 16th December 2013
It's claimed £18 million would be wasted if army jobs are moved from York's Imphal Barracks to Catterick.
York Central MP Hugh Bayley says the money would have to spent on new buildings and renovations at Catterick.
He says there's already plenty of room at Imphal Barracks to house the new Adaptable Force Brigade Headquarters.
Hugh Bayley MP says:
“It is absurd to spend £18 million on office space at Catterick to accommodate the Adaptable Force Brigade when there is perfectly adequate high quality accommodation already available at Imphal Barracks in York. It would be a gross misuse of public funds to move the newly merged Brigade to Catterick with all the premises and personnel costs that would be involved, especially at a time when the Government is cutting the defence budget.”
The Ministry of Defence has been sent ten questions about the issue from the York MP to answer.
- To ask the Secretary of State for Defence, how many staff in the new Adaptive Force Brigade Headquarters in Yorkshire will transfer from 15 Brigade Headquarters, and how many from 4 Mechanised Brigade Headquarters; how many staff in the new Brigade Headquarters will work on (a) Firm Base functions hitherto undertaken by 15 Brigade and (b) Adaptive Force functions; and what assessment he has made of the feasibility of basing the Brigadier and his Firm Base staff in York and the Brigadier's Adaptive Force staff in Catterick.
- To ask the Secretary of State for Defence, what responsibility 15 Brigade has for planning and co-ordinating resilience operations in response to floods, major weather events, major fires and other civil emergencies; and what assessment he has made on the future effectiveness of civil-military co-operation of the establishment of the Army's new Adaptive Force Brigade Headquarters in (a) Catterick and (b) York.
- To ask the Secretary of State for Defence, what estimate he has made of the cost of providing suitable premises for the new Adaptive Force Brigade Headquarters at (a) Imphal Barracks, York, (b) Strensall Barracks, York and (c) Catterick Garrison.
- To ask the Secretary of State for Defence, what role the new Yorkshire-based Adaptive Force Brigade Headquarters will play in managing the recruitment of reservists.
- To ask the Secretary of State for Defence, what estimate he has made of the cost of providing IT systems for the new Adaptive Force Brigade Headquarters in Yorkshire of the Headquarters being based at (a) Imphal Barracks, York, (b) Queen Elizabeth Barracks, Strensall and (c) Bourlon Barracks, Catterick.
- To ask the Secretary of State for Defence, how many staff based at 15 Brigade Headquarters he expects (a) to move to Catterick and (b) to be made redundant as a result of the establishment of the new Adaptive Force Brigade Headquarters at Catterick; and what estimate was made of the removal expenses, travel and subsistence, redundancy payments, early retirement payments and other personnel costs associated with the move.
- To ask the Secretary of State for Defence, what targets he has set for increasing the number of Reserve Forces based in Yorkshire and the Humber as part of his overall plan to increase the number of reservists to 30,000.
- To ask the Secretary of State for Defence, how many members of the Reserve Forces are or were based in (a) York and (b) Yorkshire and the Humber (i) now and (ii) in each of the last five years.
- To ask the Secretary of State for Defence, what representations he has received from the Reserve Forces and Cadets Association for Yorkshire and the Humber on how the region can improve the recruitment of Reserve Forces Personnel.
- To ask the Secretary of State for Defence, what the findings of the studies carried out in 2010 into moving the Headquarters of 15 Brigade from Imphal Barracks, York to (a) Bourlon Barracks, Catterick and (b) Queen Elizabeth Barracks, Strensall were on the (i) feasibility and (ii) cost of moving the Headquarters; what estimate he made of how many staff Catterick and Strensall could accommodate; for what reasons it was decided not to move the Headquarters; and if he will place a copy of these studies in the Library.
|Get the latest local news direct to your inbox.
Sign up now for our email updates.