North Yorkshire Battered by Storm Force Winds
11:56am 5th December 2013
(Updated 7:35pm 5th December 2013)
North Yorkshire has been battered by storm force winds with gusts of up to 74mph recorded in Church Fenton.
All weather alerts due to the wind have now been lifted by the Met Office.
As of 7.30pm on Thursday, East Coast services have now resumed north of Newcastle as far as Edinburgh. A full timetable is expected to run tomorrow.
A spokesman for East Coast said: “Services have been subject to an amended timetable today with extended journey times. Network Rail and East Coast have had several issues to deal with across the route today caused by severe weather, including high winds.
“However, East Coast’s normal timetable will resume tomorrow for the vast majority of customers. We apologise to all of our customers who have been inconvenienced as a result of the service disruption today.
“Tickets for travel today will be valid on Friday and tickets for tomorrow will be valid on Saturday at similar times of the day.”
The Highways Agency says winds are easing in North Yorkshire, theOuse Bridge on the M62 re-opened to traffic earlier after being closed as wind speeds of 80mph were recorded at one point.
Many roads in North Yorkshire have been closed because of falling trees. These include:
- Mill Lane, Stutton
- Portholme Road, Selby
- Low Street, South Milford
- Moor Lane, Bilborough
- Swainsea Lane, Pickering
- Willow Bridge Wood between Barton le Willows and Howsham Bridge.
- Priestmans Lane, Thornton Dale
- Barton le Willows to Howsham Bridge.
- B6271 - Yafforth to Kiplin Road
Ryan Hugo sent us this photo of a fallen tree on Portholme Road in Selby.
In York, Rowntree Park, Christmas Fayre on Parliament Street and Newgate Market have been closed because of the winds. Acomb Road was closed near The Sun Inn at Acomb Green due to a fallen tree but has now re-opened. Huntington Road was closed due to a fallen tree near the Spar shop buit has now re-opened. Lord Mayor's Walk was also closed because of fears of falling roof tiles but has also re-opened. Bus services in the city were also severely disrupted due to delays due to the weather and more people driving into York.
North Yorkshire Police were called out to the following incidents this morning:
- 6.25am – B1223 Ulleskelf, Tadcaster – Overhanging branch between Ulleskelf and Towton, blocking road. Passable with care.
- 7.25am – Bickerton – Car hit by flying trampoline on A1224. Car paintwork damaged. No injuries. Trampoline being removed by Highways Agency.
- 8am – Wighill – Tree blocking road – Highways Agency attending.
- 8.20am – A19 Riccall – tree branch blocking road. Road clear at 8.30am.
- 8.20am – Naburn – Tree down near Naburn Caravan Park.
- 8.20am – Rudgate – Tree fallen onto car. Road blocked. Road clear at 10.20am.
- 8.20am – Acomb, York – Tree causing hazard near the Sun Inn. Highways closed road and chopped tree down.
- 8.40am – Elvington – Tree down on B1228. Road blocked. Highways attending.
- 8.50am – Ryther – Tree down, partially blocking road.
- 9.15am – Kirk Hammerton – Tree blocking road near Westfield Farm. Highways Agency dealing.
- 9.20am – Escrick – Tree down near Bell Hall.
- 9.25am – Tadcaster - falling branch smashed windscreen of parked car at Grammar School.
- 9.45am – Cowthorpe – Tree blocking road on A168. Highways attending.
- 10am – Sheriff Hutton Road, Strensall. Tree down.
- 10.55am - Tree down on Huntington Road. Falling tree hit car rear windscreen. Driver uninjured. Road closed between Bell Farm Avenue and Helay’s Terrace.
- 11.10am – Brockfield Park Drive, York. Lampost down.
- 11.20am – Pockley. Tree down on A170.
- 11.30am – York – Piece of fence timber across both lanes of A64 westbound at Fulford.
- 11.30am – Slingsby Bank – Tree in Road.
- 7.25am – Thorntonthorpe – tree down, blocking road. Local farmer helped to move tree. Road clear at 7.50am.
- 10.30am – Thornton Le Dale – Tree down on Priestmans Lane. Power cables also damaged. Northern Power and Highways attending.
- 7.45am – South Milford – Tree down near Swan Hotel. Highways attended at 10am and closed road.
- 8.25am – Portholme Road – Tree down near Tesco.
- 8.45am – Chapel Haddlesley – Phone line overhanging road. BT attending.
- 8.30am – Barlby – Tree down, partially blocking road near Barlby County Primary School. One lane blocked, passable with care. Highways attending.
- 9am – Knottingley – Tree in road on Sutton Lane. Workmen help to move it. Road clear 10.15am.
- 10.45am – Wand Lane, Eggborough. Rood flooded and impassable.
- 11.10am – Turnham Lane, Cliffe. Tree down, road completely blocked.
Thanks to @LongladSte on Twitter for his photo of a fallen tree at South Milford by The Swan pub.
|Get the latest local news direct to your inbox.
Sign up now for our email updates.