Roads Warning in Pocklington, Stamford Bridge and Market Weighton
9:35am 13th November 2013
Firefighters in Pocklington, Market Weighton and Stamford Bridge are warning drivers to take extra care during today's strike.
With the evenings drawing in, darker mornings and the increase in freezing weather, driving conditions can become hazardous on the regions roads say Humberside Fire and Rescue.
During last November and December Humberside Fire and Rescue Service attended 85 road traffic collisions and they are urging drivers to take the weather conditions into account before making a journey.
With many firefighters taking strike action between 10.00hrs and 14.00hrs today (Wednesday 13 November) senior officers are asking drivers to take extra care to help reduce the risk of avoidable incidents.
Dene Sanders, Deputy Chief Fire Officer at Humberside Fire and Rescue Service, said: “The Service continues to be tested by this national dispute but is continually assessing and reviewing its contingency plans so that the best possible service can be delivered to the community at times of strike action. We will continue to provide an adequate service during strike action and to achieve this we need to draw on some of our current staff as well as reservists to provide that service.”
Advice to drivers From Humberside Fire And Rescue:
- Check your local weather forecast before you travel and plan your journey accordingly
- Avoid overtaking (unless absolutely necessary)
- If you are going to drink alcohol, do not drive, instead organise a lift or book a taxi
- Ensure all the windows are FULLY cleared of ice
- On ice, manoeuvre gently, avoiding harsh breaking or acceleration
- Check there is anti-freeze in your radiators and sufficient tread on your tyres
- Make sure your windscreen wipers are in good working order and your screen wash is full
|Get the latest local news direct to your inbox.
Sign up now for our email updates.