Advice On How To Save Money On Bills In York This Week
1:36pm 14th October 2013
People across York are being invited by City of York Council to boost their financial know-how in a series of events designed to help people make savings, get more out of the internet and make the banks work better for them.
A series of Small Changes, Big Savings sessions are being held at different venues across the city during York’s Housing Week, from today (14 October 2013) until Friday (18 October), which is looking at ways to overcome poverty.
Help and advice at the sessions will be on hand from experts in:
- budgeting - Barclays Bank will be giving impartial advice on different accounts available by the UK’s banks and how to set up direct debits
- saving money through saving energy and how to cut your fuel bills
- employment opportunities – including online job searches
- how to get online and take advantage of savings
- using social media to get the information
- getting the most from laptops, ipads, tablets and apps
- welfare benefits and entitlements.
Local residents’ associations and City of York Council housing estate managers will be to hand to talk about neighbourhood issues and how residents can get involved.
Cllr Dafydd Williams, City of York Council’s Cabinet Member with portfolio for Financial Inclusion, said: “Giving people information on how to get the most from their finances is one of our priorities and these seven sessions promise to deliver just that. Through impartial guidance about different bank accounts and easy payment through direct debit, we hope to help residents boost their banking know-how.
“Council experts will advise on cutting fuel bills, bagging online bargains and finding jobs on the web. We’re also asking people to share their money-saving tips so we can share them with everyone in York.
“Everyone’s warmly invited to come along to up their financial situation over a cuppa.”
The ‘Small Changes, Big Savings’ events held across the city will be at:
- Bell Farm Social Hall on Tuesday 15 October, 10am-12 noon when we’ll be launching our anti loan shark charter
- Clements Hall on 15 October 1:30-3:30pm;
- Sanderson Court on Wednesday 16 October, 9:30-11:30am
- Foxwood Community Centre on Thursday 17 October, 9:30-11am
- Tang Hall on 17 October, 2-4pm
- Burton Stone Community Centre, on Friday 18 October, 1-3pm.
Find out more about Housing Week at www.york.gov.uk/housingweek
|Get the latest local news direct to your inbox.
Sign up now for our email updates.