Minster FM News

Contact the News Team:
Tel: 01904 486598
 
Howard and Byrne Solicitors, York - Criminal Defence Specialists

North Yorkshire and York Councils Decide on Incinerator Contract

rubbish

7:24am 1st October 2013
(Updated 7:28am 1st October 2013)

North Yorkshire and York Councils will decide whether to write off £3 million today over the Allerton Park incinerator.

It's recommended both councils stick with their contract with AmeyCespa who they've signed up to run it.

That's despite legal action over the plans and the government pulling £65 million of private cash to help pay for it.

Bob Schofield from the North Yorkshire Waste Action Group told Minster FM:

“There’s a major question mark over spending this money on such a white elephant in the first place, but even if it cost £10M to get out of the contract it would be a small price to pay when set against the hundreds of millions that would be saved by adopting technologies that don’t involve incineration,”

“Government has said this incinerator is unnecessary – that’s why it withdrew £125M in private finance initiative credits; NYWAG and local parish councils have been saying it for years, 10,000 people signed a petition against it, Harrogate Borough Council has opposed the scheme and Harrogate’s MP, Andrew Jones, called this week for the councils to ditch the scheme,” said Mr Schofield. “The only people who appear determined to fly in the face of the evidence are these two councils.”

North Yorkshire County Council responded in a statement:

North Yorkshire County Council executive members will discuss a report on the long term waste management contract between NYCC and AmeyCespa when they meet on Tuesday 1 October. City of York Council cabinet members will discuss a report on the contract the same day.

The report will ask NYCC executive members to support the continuation of the waste contract. In the absence of an agreement between the councils and AmeyCespa, terminating the contract at this stage would cost the authorities a shared total of £3million, as well as writing off the money spent so far.

Approval of the recommendations set out in the report will help determine the next steps to be followed regarding the long term waste contract and delivery of the Allerton Waste Recovery Park, for which Members of the County Council’s Planning and  Regulatory Functions Committee resolved to grant planning permission in October of last year.

The full NYCC report can be downloaded from the council’s website.

For City of York Council Roger Ranson, who's assistant director of City & Environmental Services said:

“A report will be taken to Cabinet on 1 October which will recommend the continuation of the contract between North Yorkshire County Council and Amey Cespa regarding the long term waste service for York.

"Due to the planning status of the Allerton Waste Recovery Park (AWRP), a decision is required on the options available by York and North Yorkshire authorities. Officers believe the Allerton Waste Recovery Park (AWRP) continues to be viable in planning terms.

“In the absence of an agreement between NYCC and Amey Cespa, terminating the contract would cost the authorities £3million, as well as writing off the money spent thus far.

“Work is continuing to move this project forward towards financial close and at that time a decision will be required by the council."

Email Icon Get the latest local news direct to your inbox.
Sign up now for our email updates
.

Share This Story

Submit this page to redditDelicious
Howard and Byrne Solicitors, York - Criminal Defence Specialists
Close

We Use Cookies

This website uses cookies to store information on your computer.

By using this website you accept the use of cookies as explained in the terms of our cookie policy.