York Council U-Turn Over Lendal Bridge Fines
1:58pm 3rd September 2013
If you've driven over York's Lendal Bridge in the last week you will NOT be fined.
The city council WILL start issuing fines from tomorrow.
In a statement it says the Lendal Bridge isn't about making money but improving the city centre.
Any cash raised from fines from tomorrow will be put back into the city's road network.
Darren Richardson, Director of City and Environmental Services comments: “In response to media enquiries we have received today, I can confirm that we will not be issuing Penalty Charge Notices (PCN) to drivers of vehicles who have travelled over Lendal Bridge between the hours of 10.30am and 5pm, since Tuesday 27 August. As of tomorrow, Wednesday 4 September, any cars, lorries or motorbikes travelling over Lendal Bridge between these times will receive a PCN. We strongly urge drivers to continue to be aware of the signage in place and comply with this accordingly.
“We have said from the outset that the purpose of the Lendal Bridge trial is not to generate revenue, but to reduce traffic going over the bridge and through the city centre, as part of a long-term vision to create a more attractive and thriving city centre for us all. We have communicated its implementation in advance through many channels. However, this ‘grace period’ of one week has provided us the opportunity to observe the restrictions in place and to undertake additional publicity to further help residents, businesses and visitors comply with the restrictions. It is also important to stress at this point that any future income generated from PCNs will be invested back into the city’s highway infrastructure.”
|Get the latest local news direct to your inbox.
Sign up now for our email updates.